The Basics of Motorcycle Insurance
The roar of an engine, the wind blowing through your hair, and the inevitable cool factor are things you can experience as a motorcycle owner, but before you put that leather jacket on, make sure to have the insurance protection you need. A good motorcycle insurance policy can help you get through any possibly tough time that can arise due to accidents, so don’t wait and get up-to-date with the basics of motorcycle insurance.
In Texas, you are required by law to provide proof of insurance in the event of an accident to assure the authorities that you are financially responsible. The minimum amount of coverage required in Texas can be provided by liability insurance. This insurance generally consists of:
- Bodily Injury or Property Damage – This covers you when an accident causes injuries to another person or to another person’s property.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist – This component covers you when an uninsured or underinsured person causes a collision with you. This coverage is meant to make up for the expenses that the at-fault person’s insurance does not cover.
- Medical Payments – A good component to have in your insurance, medical payments coverage helps you pay for medical expenses after your medical insurance has been exhausted, regardless of who is at fault.
You may only need the basic components of liability insurance to be legally allowed to ride your motorcycle in Texas, but you owe it to yourself and to your loved ones to get the most out of your coverage. Keep in mind there are many insurance components you can add to have the utmost protection when out on the road. These include:
- Comprehensive and Collision – The stress of losing your beloved motorcycle can be overwhelming, but lucky for you, comprehensive and collision coverage can help replace a stolen bike or repair its damages regardless of who is at fault.
- Custom Parts and Accessories – We understand you’ll want the best components for your motorcycle, so ask for the right protection for them when you purchase a physical damage coverage plan.
- Roadside Assistance – This coverage will generally pay for the troubles (towing, flat tires, discharged battery, lack of oil or gasoline, getting stuck) that can occur when you’re out on the road.
The insurance professionals of Shepard Walton King in McAllen care about your well-being and have the best tips to keep you safe and on the road for as long as possible. Before you even think about strapping on that helmet, make sure your insurance coverage is up-to-date. You may be covered by basic liability insurance but you are strongly advised to take a good look at your coverage and add additional components as you see fit. This will keep you protected even from the things you think will never come your way.
At Shepard Walton King, we pride ourselves in offering the best insurance plans for our clients. Whether you’re looking to protect yourself and your new steel horse or you’re ready to take the plunge into wider coverage, know that our insurance agents are here to help. We understand your needs are unique and we work hard to adapt our plans for you.
A Trusted Insurance Group
Don’t let a motorcycle accident leave you in a world of pain and stress. Visit our offices in McAllen or call the Shepard Walton King professionals for more information about our insurance services.