Distracted Driving Awareness Month: Doing Your Best to be Safe on the Road
In this day and age, it can be so easy to become distracted at work or home. Anything from a phone call to your child calling out for you can put a stop to your chores or activities. Unfortunately, the same goes for being on the road. In Texas, many car accidents are caused by distracted driving, and knowing that injuries (or death in even more severe cases) can result from these incidents is something no one wants to imagine.
Fortunately, however, there’s a campaign going on through the month of April that brings to light the dangers of distracted driving. “Distracted Driving Awareness Month” is something we should all be a part of, whether it’s putting our phones away while driving or making sure that any possible distractions are completely ignored unless absolutely necessary. Let’s go over some of the dangers of distracted driving and how you can protect yourself from it through an insurance policy.
According to TxDOT, in 2017 alone, there were 537,475 accidents in the state. Of those, 19% involved some form of distracted driving. Thankfully, on September 1, 2017, Texas made it illegal to read or send texts while driving, and violators can face a fine of up to $200. Of course, there are more types of distractions other than those related to mobile phones:
- Food and Drinks – It isn’t uncommon for many people to eat while on the road, especially if they’re in a hurry.
- Grooming – Another form of distracted driving involves grooming of all kinds. This can include, brushing/combing hair, makeup applications, etc.
- Reading – This form is more common on open roads when people are traveling long distances, although reading while driving is dangerous anywhere.
- Children – As a parent, you may be well aware of how distracting a child can be, especially if he/she is attempting to get your attention.
- Sightseeing – Another uncommon type involves sightseeing. This usually happens on open roads as well, typically with vacationing drivers.
Avoiding distractions on the road isn’t difficult. For example, you can do the following:
- If you’ve received a text message or call, pull over or into a parking lot and then respond, but not while driving.
- If you’re running late for work, a meet-up or appointment and are trying to groom yourself, simply don’t do it. Even taking your eyes off of the road for a few seconds can result in danger.
- Eating can wait until you’ve reached your destination. Under no circumstances should you do it, especially while doing something that requires your full attention and both hands on the wheel.
- With children, ensure that they’re strapped and not crawling or climbing about within the vehicle. If you must speak to them, do so without taking your eyes off of the road. The same goes for pets. Ensure that they’re in a cage and not loose.
The great thing about auto insurance is that, if you’re a very safe and attentive driver, then you can be protected if you’ve found yourself in a wreck with a distracted driver. Rather than covering the costs of the damages made to your vehicle yourself or dealing with skyrocketing medical costs, insurance can help make your recovery and handling repairs an easier process.
Finding the Perfect Policy
If you’re on the market to find an auto insurance policy that places your care and well-being above all else, then contact our insurance agency in McAllen today. We’ll sit with you and go over your options, all while providing the peace of mind you need in knowing that you’re set for safety on the road.
Why You Should be Safeguarding Your Home Against the Valley’s Often Harsh Weather
May 21, 2020
Changing Car Insurance? Here Are Some Things to Keep in Mind
May 5, 2020
Let’s Debunk 4 of the Most Common Auto Insurance Myths!
April 16, 2020
COVID-19 – 4 Things You Should Know Before Buying Health Insurance
April 8, 2020
COVID-19: Why Health Insurance is a Must in 2020
March 20, 2020
3 Easy Steps You Can Take to Stay Safe During That Much-Needed Spring Break Trip!
March 9, 2020
A Watchful Eye: Don’t Fall for Car Insurance Scams!
February 24, 2020
Planning a Company Event? If So, Protect Your Business with an Insurance Plan!
February 10, 2020
5 Key Factors That Can Determine Your Car Insurance Payment Amount
January 31, 2020
Keep Your Home Safe with These 4 Easy Steps When Gone for a Weekend Getaway!
January 21, 2020
- Agency News & Information
- Agriculture Insurance
- Auto Insurance
- Boat Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Car Insurance
- Cyber Liability
- Flood Insurance
- Health Care
- Health Insurance
- HealthCare Reform
- Home Insurance
- Hurricane Season
- Information Security
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Personal Insurance
- Renters Insurance
- Safety Tips
- Workers Compensation