Distracted Driving Awareness Month: Doing Your Best to be Safe on the Road
In this day and age, it can be so easy to become distracted at work or home. Anything from a phone call to your child calling out for you can put a stop to your chores or activities. Unfortunately, the same goes for being on the road. In Texas, many car accidents are caused by distracted driving, and knowing that injuries (or death in even more severe cases) can result from these incidents is something no one wants to imagine.
Fortunately, however, there’s a campaign going on through the month of April that brings to light the dangers of distracted driving. “Distracted Driving Awareness Month” is something we should all be a part of, whether it’s putting our phones away while driving or making sure that any possible distractions are completely ignored unless absolutely necessary. Let’s go over some of the dangers of distracted driving and how you can protect yourself from it through an insurance policy.
According to TxDOT, in 2017 alone, there were 537,475 accidents in the state. Of those, 19% involved some form of distracted driving. Thankfully, on September 1, 2017, Texas made it illegal to read or send texts while driving, and violators can face a fine of up to $200. Of course, there are more types of distractions other than those related to mobile phones:
- Food and Drinks – It isn’t uncommon for many people to eat while on the road, especially if they’re in a hurry.
- Grooming – Another form of distracted driving involves grooming of all kinds. This can include, brushing/combing hair, makeup applications, etc.
- Reading – This form is more common on open roads when people are traveling long distances, although reading while driving is dangerous anywhere.
- Children – As a parent, you may be well aware of how distracting a child can be, especially if he/she is attempting to get your attention.
- Sightseeing – Another uncommon type involves sightseeing. This usually happens on open roads as well, typically with vacationing drivers.
Avoiding distractions on the road isn’t difficult. For example, you can do the following:
- If you’ve received a text message or call, pull over or into a parking lot and then respond, but not while driving.
- If you’re running late for work, a meet-up or appointment and are trying to groom yourself, simply don’t do it. Even taking your eyes off of the road for a few seconds can result in danger.
- Eating can wait until you’ve reached your destination. Under no circumstances should you do it, especially while doing something that requires your full attention and both hands on the wheel.
- With children, ensure that they’re strapped and not crawling or climbing about within the vehicle. If you must speak to them, do so without taking your eyes off of the road. The same goes for pets. Ensure that they’re in a cage and not loose.
The great thing about auto insurance is that, if you’re a very safe and attentive driver, then you can be protected if you’ve found yourself in a wreck with a distracted driver. Rather than covering the costs of the damages made to your vehicle yourself or dealing with skyrocketing medical costs, insurance can help make your recovery and handling repairs an easier process.
Finding the Perfect Policy
If you’re on the market to find an auto insurance policy that places your care and well-being above all else, then contact our insurance agency in McAllen today. We’ll sit with you and go over your options, all while providing the peace of mind you need in knowing that you’re set for safety on the road.
August is National Eye Exam Month, Make Sure You Have Insurance!
August 14, 2019
Get Peace of Mind by Finding the Perfect Boat Insurance Policy in McAllen
July 22, 2019
Our Insurance Agency in McAllen Wants for You to Practice Fourth of July Safety
July 3, 2019
Renters Insurance: Sleep Easier at Night with One of These Policies
June 20, 2019
Hurricane Season 2019: Expected to be a Near-Normal Season, but Still be Cautious and Prepare
June 6, 2019
Motorcycle Riding: A Few Important Facts and Statistics You Should Know
May 14, 2019
Distracted Driving: What it is and Why Shepard Walton King Cares
April 25, 2019
Flood Insurance: Don’t Overlook This Important Coverage in Texas!
March 29, 2019
Get Ready to Ride Your Motorcycle with the Safety of an Insurance Policy!
March 8, 2019
Protecting Your Farm or Ranch with an Agricultural Insurance Policy from Shepard Walton King
January 29, 2019
- Agency News & Information
- Agriculture Insurance
- Auto Insurance
- Boat Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Car Insurance
- Cyber Liability
- Flood Insurance
- Health Care
- HealthCare Reform
- Home Insurance
- Hurricane Season
- Information Security
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Personal Insurance
- Renters Insurance
- Safety Tips
- Workers Compensation