Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Be Sure to Get Checked and Find a Policy with Us
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. It’s the perfect time to make an appointment with your doctor for a checkup since recent breast cancer rates have proven to be alarming:
- One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Second to skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the United States.
- In 2017, over 252,000 cases were diagnosed in women.
- Last year, over 40,000 women died from the illness.
Early Detection is Key
For early detection, monthly self-examinations and regularly-scheduled breast exams and mammograms are extremely important.
- When detected early, the five-year relative survival rate is 100%. Since 1989, a woman’s risk of dying from breast cancer has fallen 39%.
- Breast cancer can be diagnosed with mammograms, ultrasounds, biopsies and MRIs.
- If you have a family history of breast cancer, you should consider some form of testing beginning at least 10 years before the age of your affected relative’s diagnosis.
Reduce Your Risks
Although cancer is not completely preventable, some healthier habits can reduce your risk.
- Stay physically active
- Maintain a healthy weight and balanced diet
- Don’t smoke
- Limit alcohol consumption
When trying to prevent any illness, maintaining a healthy lifestyle is definitely recommended, but having a safety net like a healthcare plan is a must. At Shepard Walton King, we can help you chose a plan that’s catered to you that includes several coverage options:
- Insurance for both minor and severe illnesses, from cancers and heart attacks to other major diseases.
- Medical insurance to protect you in an accident.
- Disability plans, both short- and long-term.
- Vision insurance for eyewear and contact lenses.
- Dental insurance for check-ups and dental surgeries.
Contact Us Today
August is National Eye Exam Month, Make Sure You Have Insurance!
August 14, 2019
Get Peace of Mind by Finding the Perfect Boat Insurance Policy in McAllen
July 22, 2019
Our Insurance Agency in McAllen Wants for You to Practice Fourth of July Safety
July 3, 2019
Renters Insurance: Sleep Easier at Night with One of These Policies
June 20, 2019
Hurricane Season 2019: Expected to be a Near-Normal Season, but Still be Cautious and Prepare
June 6, 2019
Motorcycle Riding: A Few Important Facts and Statistics You Should Know
May 14, 2019
Distracted Driving: What it is and Why Shepard Walton King Cares
April 25, 2019
Flood Insurance: Don’t Overlook This Important Coverage in Texas!
March 29, 2019
Get Ready to Ride Your Motorcycle with the Safety of an Insurance Policy!
March 8, 2019
Protecting Your Farm or Ranch with an Agricultural Insurance Policy from Shepard Walton King
January 29, 2019
- Agency News & Information
- Agriculture Insurance
- Auto Insurance
- Boat Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Car Insurance
- Cyber Liability
- Flood Insurance
- Health Care
- HealthCare Reform
- Home Insurance
- Hurricane Season
- Information Security
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Personal Insurance
- Renters Insurance
- Safety Tips
- Workers Compensation