Does Your Homeowners Insurance Policy Cover Your Possessions in Case of a Burglary?
According to FBI statistics, in 2018, there were over 1.2 million burglaries committed in the country. This is a terrifying number, and we know that someone breaking into your home and stealing your prized and valuable possessions is a disturbing thought. It can leave you feeling hopeless and overwhelmed, especially if an item with sentimental value was stolen.
Our insurance agents in McAllen want for you to know that it’s possible to have your belongings covered with a homeowners insurance policy. Read on to learn more about this very important type of coverage.
Start with Finding the Best Policy
First and foremost, if you haven’t already, start by finding the perfect coverage for your home. The great thing about homeowners insurance is that, not only can it cover break-ins, but depending on the type of coverage you get, it can also cover damages caused by natural disasters and fires. It can also provide liability coverage for injuries on your property.
Make a List of Important Valuables
This is important to have in case something happens to your home. Take the time to do the following:
- Document all items in your home, especially those that are expensive.
- Keep receipts, photos, and videos of your property as records for your homeowners policy.
- Carefully secure bank statements, credit card records, and warranties in a fireproof safe. Be ready to send copies to your insurer as proof of purchase for any expensive items stolen in a break-in.
- If you own items worth over $10,000, be sure to have them appraised if your insurance carrier requires it.
How a Homeowners Policy Can Help
A typical homeowners insurance policy has two parts: dwelling coverage and personal property coverage.
- Dwelling coverage protects the actual structure if it’s damaged in the event of a break-in. Your coverage can result in reimbursements.
- Personal property coverage covers the contents within your home and helps replace them if possible. This can include family heirlooms, jewelry, and antiques.
A Few Tips from Us
Gabriel Nunnery and Chris Graham, two of our agents, have provided a few pointers below for homeowners on the market for an insurance policy:
- Shop around for homeowners insurance early. If you have as little as two or three weeks left on your coverage, begin looking for a new policy because some insurers will give credit for purchasing early.
- Some insurance carriers offer discounts to homeowners with security systems or surveillance equipment on their property.
- Some carriers give discounts if homeowners have water sensors installed on pipes to detect leaks.
Contact Our Insurance Agency in McAllen Today
At Shepard Walton King, we know that having a homeowners insurance policy is one of the wisest investments you can make. It provides peace of mind at all times. Contact our insurance agency in McAllen today to get started on your search!
4 Things You Should Keep in Mind When Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st
May 29, 2020
Why You Should be Safeguarding Your Home Against the Valley’s Often Harsh Weather
May 21, 2020
Changing Car Insurance? Here Are Some Things to Keep in Mind
May 5, 2020
Let’s Debunk 4 of the Most Common Auto Insurance Myths!
April 16, 2020
COVID-19 – 4 Things You Should Know Before Buying Health Insurance
April 8, 2020
COVID-19: Why Health Insurance is a Must in 2020
March 20, 2020
3 Easy Steps You Can Take to Stay Safe During That Much-Needed Spring Break Trip!
March 9, 2020
A Watchful Eye: Don’t Fall for Car Insurance Scams!
February 24, 2020
Planning a Company Event? If So, Protect Your Business with an Insurance Plan!
February 10, 2020
5 Key Factors That Can Determine Your Car Insurance Payment Amount
January 31, 2020
- Agency News & Information
- Agriculture Insurance
- Auto Insurance
- Boat Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Car Insurance
- Cyber Liability
- Flood Insurance
- Health Care
- Health Insurance
- HealthCare Reform
- Home Insurance
- Hurricane Season
- Information Security
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Personal Insurance
- Renters Insurance
- Safety Tips
- Workers Compensation