Does Your Homeowners Insurance Policy Cover Your Possessions in Case of a Burglary?
According to FBI statistics, in 2018, there were over 1.2 million burglaries committed in the country. This is a terrifying number, and we know that someone breaking into your home and stealing your prized and valuable possessions is a disturbing thought. It can leave you feeling hopeless and overwhelmed, especially if an item with sentimental value was stolen.
Our insurance agents in McAllen want for you to know that it’s possible to have your belongings covered with a homeowners insurance policy. Read on to learn more about this very important type of coverage.
Start with Finding the Best Policy
First and foremost, if you haven’t already, start by finding the perfect coverage for your home. The great thing about homeowners insurance is that, not only can it cover break-ins, but depending on the type of coverage you get, it can also cover damages caused by natural disasters and fires. It can also provide liability coverage for injuries on your property.
Make a List of Important Valuables
This is important to have in case something happens to your home. Take the time to do the following:
- Document all items in your home, especially those that are expensive.
- Keep receipts, photos, and videos of your property as records for your homeowners policy.
- Carefully secure bank statements, credit card records, and warranties in a fireproof safe. Be ready to send copies to your insurer as proof of purchase for any expensive items stolen in a break-in.
- If you own items worth over $10,000, be sure to have them appraised if your insurance carrier requires it.
How a Homeowners Policy Can Help
A typical homeowners insurance policy has two parts: dwelling coverage and personal property coverage.
- Dwelling coverage protects the actual structure if it’s damaged in the event of a break-in. Your coverage can result in reimbursements.
- Personal property coverage covers the contents within your home and helps replace them if possible. This can include family heirlooms, jewelry, and antiques.
A Few Tips from Us
Gabriel Nunnery and Chris Graham, two of our agents, have provided a few pointers below for homeowners on the market for an insurance policy:
- Shop around for homeowners insurance early. If you have as little as two or three weeks left on your coverage, begin looking for a new policy because some insurers will give credit for purchasing early.
- Some insurance carriers offer discounts to homeowners with security systems or surveillance equipment on their property.
- Some carriers give discounts if homeowners have water sensors installed on pipes to detect leaks.
Contact Our Insurance Agency in McAllen Today
At Shepard Walton King, we know that having a homeowners insurance policy is one of the wisest investments you can make. It provides peace of mind at all times. Contact our insurance agency in McAllen today to get started on your search!
Your Business Matters, Especially During Hurricane Season – Part 2
October 19, 2020
Your Business Matters, Especially During Hurricane Season – Part 1
September 29, 2020
4 Things to Know Before Your Late Summer RV Shopping Quest
September 18, 2020
4 Things You Should Keep in Mind When Severe Weather Strikes
September 8, 2020
4 Important Insurance Policies That Every Millennial Should Have
August 14, 2020
The Importance of Business Interruption Insurance During the Hurricane Season
July 31, 2020
COVID-19: Employee Health Insurance is Pivotal Now More Than Ever Before
July 10, 2020
How Your Speeding Ticket Can Affect Your Car Insurance Coverage
June 30, 2020
Fire Insurance: Why You Shouldn’t Ignore It
June 9, 2020
4 Things You Should Keep in Mind When Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st
May 29, 2020
- Agency News & Information
- Agriculture Insurance
- Auto Insurance
- Boat Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Car Insurance
- Cyber Liability
- Fire Insurance
- Flood Insurance
- Health Care
- Health Insurance
- HealthCare Reform
- Home Insurance
- Hurricane Season
- Information Security
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Personal Insurance
- Renters Insurance
- Safety Tips
- Workers Compensation