Why You Should be Safeguarding Your Home Against the Valley’s Often Harsh Weather
May 21, 2020
Changing Car Insurance? Here Are Some Things to Keep in Mind
May 5, 2020
Let’s Debunk 4 of the Most Common Auto Insurance Myths!
April 16, 2020
COVID-19 – 4 Things You Should Know Before Buying Health Insurance
April 8, 2020
COVID-19: Why Health Insurance is a Must in 2020
March 20, 2020
3 Easy Steps You Can Take to Stay Safe During That Much-Needed Spring Break Trip!
March 9, 2020
A Watchful Eye: Don’t Fall for Car Insurance Scams!
February 24, 2020
Planning a Company Event? If So, Protect Your Business with an Insurance Plan!
February 10, 2020
5 Key Factors That Can Determine Your Car Insurance Payment Amount
January 31, 2020
Keep Your Home Safe with These 4 Easy Steps When Gone for a Weekend Getaway!
January 21, 2020
- Agency News & Information
- Agriculture Insurance
- Auto Insurance
- Boat Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Car Insurance
- Cyber Liability
- Flood Insurance
- Health Care
- Health Insurance
- HealthCare Reform
- Home Insurance
- Hurricane Season
- Information Security
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Personal Insurance
- Renters Insurance
- Safety Tips
- Workers Compensation
Protecting Your Home During the Winter Months
The heat of the summer months is still in full swing but those cold winter winds will be here before you know it. Severe winter conditions can strike when you least expect it, so take time to prepare your home against this weather and know what to do if it decides to linger. Things such as frozen water pipes and ice dams on your gutters can take a damaging toll on your home, so follow our advice and be ready to take on those wintery conditions.
Take the Proper Measures
The last thing you want during a winter storm is for your home to experience damage that will eventually result in more than its fair share of headaches. Some of the ways you can prepare your home include:
- Cleaning out your gutters, disconnecting outside hoses and shutting off outdoor water valves if possible
- Weather-stripping your doors and windows
- Insulating walls and attics
- Repairing ceiling leaks
- Trimming any branches that could potentially fall on your roof
- Slowing your water pipes’ heat transfer by wrapping them with insulation sleeves
- Covering your water heater with an insulated blanket
- Keeping any fireplace’s flues closed when they’re not in use
- Clearing your heating vents of any obstructions
- Making sure any faucets connected to pipes in unprotected or unheated spaces are left trickling slowly
- Draining your water system if you plan to leave your home for an extended period of time
Protection When You Need it Most
Sometimes things don’t go as we plan and problems arise even after days of preparation. When this happens, know that you have the protection of Shepard Walton King at your side. We’ll help you prepare your home and valuables with the insurance policy that best fits your needs.
No matter what you want to protect, our insurance professionals are here to assist you in making the best decision. For more information about our insurance services, contact our office in Austin today.